Getting a reference error in VS2012 for Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.dll

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Test method ScafoldingDemo.HomeTests.MainMenuContainsHome threw exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
Result StackTrace: 
at Microsoft.Services.TestTools.UITesting.Html.UITestControlExtensions.Find[T](UITestControl container, Object findCriterias)
   at Microsoft.Services.TestTools.UITesting.Html.UITestControlExtensions.Find(UITestControl container, Object findCriteria)
   at ScafoldingDemo.Home.MainMenuContainsItem(String text) in d:\Skydrive\Sample Projects\ScafoldingDemo\ScafoldingDemo\HomePage.cs:line 13
   at ScafoldingDemo.HomeTests.MainMenuContainsHome() in d:\Skydrive\Sample Projects\ScafoldingDemo\ScafoldingDemo\HomeTests.cs:line 18

I tried re-referencing the dll, but no luck. Let me know if someone had it worked in VS2012.

-Senthil

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I downloaded the source and opened the solution in VS2012. Then I removed references to CodedUI stuff (the library was linked to version 10.0 of these dll:s) and added references to version 11.0 dll:s. After building the project I could add it to my VS2012 coded UI project and get back to work.

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I've yet to update and verify things for VS2012 (and TFS2012). Thanks for posting issues here - it'll definitely speed things up for me. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM
chrislof wrote:

I've yet to update and verify things for VS2012 (and TFS2012). Thanks for posting issues here - it'll definitely speed things up for me. 

I see this is not fixed yet.  I just setup my project to do a get of the package and forgot that I had previously fixed this for 2012.  Now it is broken again and I need to fix yet again.

Is there a timeline for when this will be fixed?  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

-ja

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Is this fixed ? Any references as to how to fix this issue?

Thanks
Jul 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM
lramyab wrote:
Is this fixed ? Any references as to how to fix this issue?

Thanks
we fixed this by adding a assemblybinding redirect.
<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="10.0.0.0" newVersion="11.0.0.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
  </runtime>
let me know if this fixes your problem?